Monday, January 7, 2013

Various Tomatoes




Various Tomatoes

Ever wondered, why so many people grow tomatoes.. reason  is simple they are tasty & fun-to-grow vegetable it’s exciting to see small buds forming then becoming flowers & fruits, then you wait for them to ripe, growing tomatoes is a wonderful experience. All this doesn’t comes in easy for many of us, as tomato needs lot of care, they need the right amount & kind of fertilizer at the right time, good amount of sunlight & the right climate for optimum results. I guess giving them the best conditions & care is only possible is a controlled green house environment, but for us we can just hope & try to ensure that our conditions are closest to the best for our tomatoes. My first experiment with tomatoes was horrible, I thought they are the most difficult kind of plants to grow & I decided not to grow tomatoes ever, later changed my mind, once failed I did my homework well & this season changed my views about tomatoes for ever. I’ve always dreamed of having wonderful tomatoes growing on my terrace & have bountiful harvests, which is yet not a reality, but looks like a pretty close one ;) .
These cherry tomatoes are definitely going to give a mega harvest–Cherry Tomatoes almost ready for harvest


Other than this I’ve got many different varieties coming up in on my terrace– a glimpse on their growth starting from the beginning till now…
I took a few out of the seeding tray for transplanting into grow bags.
Caro Rich seedlings on 2nd Dec 2012
Caro Rich seedlings on 2nd Dec 2012
Into the grow bags, these plants were transplanted at the right time so they did not exhibit any transplant stress and kept on growing at the right pace.  In the picture these are Caro Rich, Stripped Abundant & Poland Pink cultivars of tomato.
In the Growbags.. 6th Dec 2012
In the Growbags.. 6th Dec 2012
After a while I moved them into their final spot along with several other bags growing tomatoes, other varieties that I am growing along are Golden Delight & Arka Vikas, Golden delight is a medium sized yellow plant, determinate & Arka vikas is a medium sized hybrid of semi-determinate type.
These plants are manually fed as of now, my drip supply is missing some components, which I’ve ordered & I am waiting on the delivery, as soon as they come I will setup the drip for these plants, makes life very easy.
As of 12 Dec 2012
As of 12 Dec 2012
The plants are thriving up the sky, pretty soon they need some kind of support tied on to the top.
As of 17 Dec 2012
As of 17 Dec 2012
You can see the drip is almost ready, just waiting on the 2mm feeder pipe..
17th Dec 2012
17th Dec 2012
I already see many plants have blossoms, those at the right size will be able to contain them others I am afraid will loose these flowers.
Blossoms.. As of 17th Dec 2012
Blossoms.. As of 17th Dec 2012 (Caro Rich)
Drip & Support threads attached..
As of 20th Dec 2012
As of 20th Dec 2012
19th - Dec 2012
19th – Dec 2012
19th dec 2012
19th dec 2012
Some plants have formed tiny fruits, but it’s difficult to get a picture with my bad camera ;) ..
more later..
Manu

No comments:

Post a Comment